Have you dreamt about snakes? Well, seeing snakes in dreams can have many meanings. Snakes in dreams are usually associated with fear and have complex and multi-layered symbols.
Today, we explore what it means when you dream about snakes.
In fact, there are several profound reasons why you see snakes in your dreams.
In most of the situations, dreaming about snakes is related to challenging issues and feelings that you encounter in your day to day life.
Generally, snakes dreams mean the following:
- A snake is taken as a symbol of the unconscious
- Seeing snakes or serpents in dreams go on to indicate that you are in the process of healing and resolving issues
- The snake is a symbol of an untapped resource
- Snakes in dreams even represent spiritual aspects of yourself
- Snakes show up in dreams in times of transition and transformation
- Freudian interpretation represent a snake as a phallic symbol
- A snake dream indicates that you are dealing with a difficult situation or unsettling emotions in your life.
However, we must tell you that snake in dreams is not just indicative of negative aspects in your life.
They are also indicative of positive aspects in your life particularly indicating that healing and transformation are taking place in your life.
A snake can show up as an “animal spirit guide” and bring about direction and healing opportunities in your life.
Here, we are listing the most popular aspects and interpretations of the snake dream:
- Suppose you feel fear when you see snakes in your dream. It means that you are facing difficulties and uncertainties in your waking life.
However, when the presence of a snake in your dream is neutral or friendly, it indicates that you are dealing with fears of assurance. It suggests that healing is taking place.
- If you see a wild snake in your dream, it indicates that negative aspects with the animal. It denotes worries, fears, and concerns about something that is going out of your control. If you dream about a pet snake, it indicates an opportunity for healing and even positive changes in your life.
- When you see that you are fighting with a snake, it means that you are resisting a change. It also indicates that you are struggling with a decision or feelings in your waking life. It represents a power struggle in your relationship or even at work.
- When you see yourself being chased by a snake, it means that you are encountering intimidating circumstances in your waking life that is haunting your senses. It also indicates that emotions that you are avoiding are coming back at you.
- If you dream that you are attacked by a snake, it could be a call to explore a challenging situation in your life. When a snake bites you in a dream, it is interpreted in the following way.
Well, you need to pay attention to something that you’ve been avoiding. The situation is too disturbing for you, and that’s why you’re avoiding it.
- If a snake goes on to spit at you in your dream, then it indicates that there is a negative influence in your waking life which is much difficult to handle. It represents a “poisonous” relationship or even negative words and rumors around you.
- If you see yourself talking to a snake in your dream, then it means that you are engaged in the process of understanding higher knowledge about yourself or your world. It means that you are willing to receive information of a mystical nature.
- Snake is talking to you in your dream, then it a sign that your potentials are being realized. You will receive new possibilities in your life.
- If you dream about a snake bite, it’s a warning signal against a toxic person or a challenging situation that can cause harm to you.
So, your unconscious sends a wakeup call to you for taking action against such a situation.
It indicates that something of your past or present is bothering you and you are consciously or unconsciously ignoring it. A dream about a snake bite also indicates that something in your life is to change dramatically.
- If you dream about a black snake, then it means that something ominous is lurking in your life. You may experience sadness or depression.
- Seeing dead snakes is a positive sign in your dreams. If you see a dead snake in your dreams, it symbolizes the end of fear, deceit, or temptation. It indicates that there will be a positive change in your life.
- Seeing multiple or a lot of snakes in your dream means that abundance will come in your life. It may come in the form of sexual energy, knowledge/wisdom, or lots of financial gains.
- Dreaming of snakes while pregnant is a sign of good luck. It symbolizes a healthy pregnancy.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meanings of Snake Dreams
Fear: Snake dreams indicate fear of something or someone in your waking life. You could be afraid of facing a commitment, your boss, or even a tough situation. Snake dreams are a wakeup call for you to face your fears.
Repressed Desires: Seeing a snake in a dream is indicative of your innermost desires. If the snake bites in your dream, it means that you have to fulfill those desires.
Unconscious Anxieties: If snakes appear in your dreams, it means that you have unconscious anxieties in your mind that you are not aware of in your waking life. If you see snakes in your dreams, it means that you are facing stress, sadness, or anger.
Transcendence: Snakes in dreams represent transcendence into a higher level of consciousness.
Knowledge & Wisdom: In some Asian and Native American cultures, snakes represent knowledge and wisdom. When you dream about a snake, it means that you are seeking knowledge or answers.
Phallic Symbol: If you happen to see a snake in your dream, it means that you are suppressing your sexual needs. In fact, a snake represents a phallic symbol. So, a snake dream points to a sexual deficit or urges.
Growth and Renewal: Snake dreams indicate a change in life or renewal. Your unconscious mind is helping you to overcome your struggles.
Sigmund Freud interpretation of Snake Dreams
Sigmund Freud was a psychoanalyst. Freud interpreted snake dreams as personal unconscious sexual desires. According to Freud, a snake symbolizes a penis. So, when you see a snake in your dream, it is in some way connected to your sex life or sexual relationships in your waking life.
The Hindu Interpretation of a Snake Dream
Seeing snakes in dreams symbolize that you are trying to repress your feelings or emotions. In fact, seeing snakes in dreams are interpreted in different ways in different cultures. Hindus have their own interpretations of snake dreams.
According to Hindu mythology, if you see a snake in your dream and feel threatened by it, then it symbolizes that you have a bad enemy. It also signals a warning against physical harm.
When you see many snakes in a pit in your dream, then it is considered to be a symbol of bad luck. If you kill a threatening snake in your dream, then it is considered overcoming an adversary and winning.
Here, we list out some of the main Hindu interpretations of Snake Dream:
- A snake dream indicates that you have dangerous enemies who will harm your character and life
- Hindus have an ancient religious text such as Swapna Shastra which offers in-depth analysis of seeing snakes in dreams. According to Swapna Shastra, seeing snakes in dreams is considered good.
- In Swapna Shastra, there is a vivid account of snake dream analysis. It is said that if a snake bites the dreamer, then it is interpreted as positive curing of a disease.
However, if a person bites or eats up a snake in his/her dream, then it means that the dreamer will be blessed with material wealth or children.
- In Hindu mythology, it is said that if you catch a snake in your dream, then it is considered as a victory over your enemies. If a snake bites a dreamer, then they are considered lucky. However, killing a snake in a dream is considered unlucky. If a snake falls on you, it’s a forewarning of sickness and disease.
- When you see a snake climb a tree or cross your path, then it indicates luck in your life.
- However, if snake dreams result from seeing, talking, or watching scenes involving snakes, then such dreams should be ignored as they are considered merely a play of your unconscious mind.
- If you see snakes appearing in water, then it has a purifying effect on your life.
- In Hinduism, snakes symbolize Kundalini Shakti which is considered the vital life force in you. It is pictured as a coiled serpent resting at the base of the spine.
When your Kundalini Shakti is awakened, the serpent shoots up the spine and opens up the thousand-petaled lotus at the crown. The awakening of the Kundalini Shakti can be utilized for various esoteric things.
So, we see that snake dreams are the response of your unconscious mind to the events in your past or present. The best way to deal with snake dreams is to talk to a psychologist. Their advice and prescription will help you to restructure your life with a positive attitude.
It will help you to overcome your fears, inhibitions, trauma, and negative attitude towards your waking life. You will begin to lead your life to the fullest and will have a sound and heavenly sleep without snake dreams.
That’s all from us in this post about snake dreams. We hope that you have got ample information about snake dreams. Now, you can interpret your snake dreams easily. If you are regularly having snake dreams, then you must consult a qualified psychologist. It will help you to get rid of the snake dreams in your sleep.
Please do remember to share the post with your friends and loved ones. Lastly, you can leave your valuable comments below. We welcome your feedback and suggestions.