Om Namah Shivaya is the most popular Hindu Mantra dedicated to Lord Shiva. Today, we share with you Om Namah Shivaya’s meaning and benefits.
Om Namah Shivaya is a prime mantra in the Shaivism tradition of Hinduism. Its meaning is “Oh! Salutations to the auspicious one.” It also means “I bow down to Lord Shiva!!!”
Shiva here means the “Supreme Reality” or the “True Inner Self.”
In fact, Om Namah Shivaya is a very ancient Hindu mantra. It is estimated to be at least thousands of years old. In fact, Om Namah Shivaya is mentioned in the Yajur Veda. It can be found in the Shri Rudram hymn.
Breaking down of Om Namah Shivaya
Om: Here, Om signifies the supreme reality that existed even before the creation of the Universe. It was a pure void. Out of this pure vibration was born a cosmic vibration which is known as Om. It is out of this very Om; the Universe is born.
Namah: means to bow or to salute in adoration.
Shiva: Shiva here refers to the inner self
In Siddha Shaivism, the Om Namah Shivay refers to the Pancha Buddha Tattva of Lord Shiva. In Tantric Traditions, Om Namah Shivay refers to the art of experiencing absolute bliss.
Rishis have interpreted the meaning of Namah Shivaya as:
Na meaning Earth
Mah – Water
Shi – Fire
Va – Air
Ya – Sky
It can be translated and interpreted as “Universal Consciousness is one.” These five components are responsible for manifesting the absolute truth as per the Hindu philosophy.
“Na” is related to the first chakra and resembles survival and emotional issues. It is at the base of the spine located between the anus and genitals.
“Mah” is related to the second chakra. It represents the water element. It is situated below the navel and represents sexual desires.
The “SI” relates to the third Chakra. It is located at the solar plexus. The element concerned here is fire, and the central theme here is personal power. This Chakra grants the right to act and stand in one’s power.
The “VA” rises furthermore to the heart center and is represented by the fourth center. The element is air.
The “YA” represents the fifth chakra. It is the throat center. It is concerned with ether and space. This is associated with the right to speak and be heard.
The five letters in the Namah Shivaya mantra are also associated with the following:
“Na” represents concealing grace
“Mah” represents World
“Shi” means Shiva
“Va” means Lord’s revealing grace
“Ya” means Atma or Soul
The Om Namah Shivaya Mantra has also been referred to as Panchashiri Mantra. It contains five syllables containing letters such as “Na,” “Ma,” “Si,” “Va” and “Ya.” It is believed that the Om Namah Shivaya mantra has been mentioned in the ancient scriptures of the Vedas and Tantric expressions of the Hindu philosophy. It is the most important Mantra is the Shaivite tradition of Hindu religious practice.
Here, the “Na” represents mother Earth. Now, you should also know the fact that “MA” is representative of water, “Si” is the fire, while the “VA” sounds in the “Om Namah Shivaya” represents the Pranic force which is better known as life force or energy. The Ya sound here represents the ether. In totality, the Om Namah Shivaya Mantra signifies that the Universal Consciousness is One.
In simple words, Om Namah Shivay can be understood as a prayer dedicated to Lord Shiva which has been described in the Hindu religious texts specifically the Sri Rudram Chamakam.
“Shiva” in the Om Namah Shivaya mantra is addressed to the Supreme Reality that manifests in the form of Shiva – the one who destroys the Universe.
In Hindu mythology, Brahma is called the one who creates the Universe, Vishnu is the one who preserves the Universe, and the third one Shiva, in the end, destroys the Universe. Shiva is the inner self that remains intact even when everything else ends.
The “Om Namah Shivaya” mantra is a very powerful Mantra. It is believed that if you regularly chant this mantra, then this mantra starts to vibrate continually in your heart. It is said that one who practices the Om Namah Shivaya mantra regularly does not need to indulge in austerities, meditate, or do yoga.
The good thing about this mantra is that there is no need for any rituals or ceremonies. This mantra can be practiced at any time or any place. So, the Om Namah Shivaya mantra is free of all restrictions.
The mantra can be practiced by anyone including the young and the old, rich and the poor, men and women. The mantra purifies the state of mind.
How to Chant ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ Mantra?
You need to sit in a comfortable & peaceful place and position. One can chant the mantra loudly or can even repeat it in your mind. You need to chant the mantra at the same speed as you talk. One needs to repeat the mantra with the feeling in your heart that you are bowing to Lord Shiva. So, you need to repeat this mantra with respect to Lord Shiva.
In fact, chanting this mantra signifies that you are actually bowing down to the God Almighty. When you repeat this mantra in your mouth, you will experience God itself. However, you will need to repeat this mantra with full faith. The miracles will start happening for you. Chanting of the “Om Namah Shivaya” mantra will nullify almost up to 99% of the negative impacts of the planets.
Traditionally, it is believed and accepted that the Om Namah Shivaya mantra cures all ailments both on the physical plane and on the mental dimension, as well. Chanting of the Om Namah Shivaya mantra brings peace to the heart and joy to the Atman or Soul.
Sages have said that the recitation of this mantra is a sound therapy for the body and nectar to the soul. The mantra signifies a call to Shiva, the God of the destruction of evil. The mantra proves highly beneficial in meditation.
Preferably, you should take an early morning bath and sit down with your legs folded and back straight. You should close your eyes and take a Jaap-mala in your hand. Begin chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra. Your prayer room is the perfect place for chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra.
In one sitting, you should repeat the Om Namah Shivaya mantra at least 108 times. Sit still in the same position. The sacred energy will start embracing you.
Benefits of Chanting Om Namah Shivaya Mantra
If you practice the Om Namah Shivaya mantra with true dedication and devotion, the mantra has the power to purify your soul and guide you to a virtuous and divine life. The mantra will elevate you into previously unexplored planes of existence. The mantra vibrations help to awaken your subconscious mind and heal your body, mind, and soul from deep within.
Chanting of the Om Namah Shivaya mantra helps to cure ailments such as mental illness, depression, and insomnia. It’s a great stress buster. The regular chanting of Om Namah Shivay calms down your restless mind and gives it much-needed stability.
Om is the very source of energy on which the Universe feeds. Regular chanting of the mantra reignites the chi which lies dormant in the naval part of the human body and activates the positive sensations.
If you regularly chant this mantra 108 times per day, it will help to smoothen your temper and aggression. The mantra elevates the peace level in your life and helps to build up your determination.
Here, we have listed down the prime benefits of the Om Namah Shivaya mantra:
- The Om Namah Shivaya mantra is said to be the “Moksha Giver” mantra. The mantra stabilizes your thought process and improves blood circulation in the neurons. In medical terms, it is known as neuron plasticity.
- By chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra, you feel light in your heart.
- The mantra awakens the feeling of eternal ecstasy. It’s a way towards perennial joy.
- This mantra helps to control your senses, nerves, and anxieties.
- The mantra Om Namah Shivay helps to calm down your mind and cools your mind, and you get peace of mind.
- The mantra increases the happiness chemical known as the GABA Chemical in your brain. So, your consciousness gets charged up when you recite this mantra.
- Students get benefited by chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra as it helps in developing memory power.
- The mantra showers on you eternal joy.
- This mantra frees you from animal passion and rude behavior. The mantra improves the positive energy and reduces toxicity in your body. There is a reduction in anger and aggression. These changes will begin to appear in 25 to 30 days of regular chanting of the mantra Om Namah Shivay.
- The mantra activates the inactive neurons of the brain cell. Your body and skin will start getting glow and shine. It’s called the most powerful Maha Mantra.
- Practicing regular repetition of this mantra, at least 108 times a day, helps you to get Siddhis, Urza, or strength. It is helpful in awakening Kundalini Yoga Shakti.
- The Om Namah Shivaya mantra imparts various health benefits. It improves blood circulation and stabilizes the heartbeat. It even enhances your blood purification system. The Mantra improves your physiological and intellectual well-being.
- It heals your sorrows and emotional pains. The mantra takes you out of the darkness and shows you the positivity of life.
- It reduces the chances of heart stroke and organ failure.
- The mantra brings positivity into your house. Worshipping Lord Shiva is known to bring happiness in the home. Shiva & Shakti both get established in that house. You understand other problems and offer your helping hand to them.
- Moral values will start to grow in the kids. Positive vibes will get emitted from that house and also from people that live in that house. Chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra will make the law of attraction work better in your favor.
- Chanting of Om Namah Shivaya mantra frees you you’re your past sins and wrong deeds.
- The mantra is helpful in invoking Atman Gyan – to know yourself. This mantra helps you to get connected with Supreme Consciousness.
- The mantra liberates you from your limitations.
- The Shiva Shakti gets awakened within you.
- The mantra activates the body’s chakras.
However, you need to practice the mantra with serious effort and utmost devotion.
Now, you have come to know the meaning and benefits of chanting the Shiva Maha Mantra – Om Namah Shivay. Those who practice this mantra regularly will get eternal joy, strength, and courage. Please share the post on the most loved social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.